Sig Pi’s second Battle of the Bands

Sigma Phi Epsilon, one of Michigan Tech’s fraternities, returned with its second annual Battle of the Bands. On Mar. 16, students and local community members attended the Battle of the Bands and got to watch amazing local talent play with no admission cost. The Battle of the Bands is an annual event celebrating local talent. Bands from the Houghton area attend and demonstrate their abilities as rock stars in a local setting. Whether you’re a die-hard music enthusiast or just looking for a good time, this event has something for everyone. This year’s lineup featured a mashup of local performers, from veteran performers to those new to the scene. The lineup consisted of the following performers: Honda Civic, Bouquet, Jaztek, Ben T, Cheblord, Willowby, and Boiler Room Bastards.

Michigan Tech student and member of Boiler Room Bastards, Sam Jensen, had this to say about the student music scene: “Being in a college band is somewhat bittersweet– people come and people go. Being able to share moments with people on a musical level is sometimes more meaningful than anything words can accomplish, and having an outlet where these moments can occur is a blessing. I look forward to playing at the Lode. I get to not only create memories with my bandmates that are soon graduating, but I’m also able to listen to other musicians display their talents. Performing in front of strangers is always daunting, but with the Houghton music crowd, it feels like there really aren’t any strangers in the first place.”

Remember, it’s not just about the performances– the Battle of the Bands is a celebration of the power of music, community, and Michigan Tech’s tenacity.

One Response

1. This article was very informative by the reporter and enhances the readers’ understanding of the values in this tight-knit community. Music is an universal language and this article shows how this musical event socially connected people together from the surrounding area.