MTU seeking feedback for Hazard Mitigation Plan update

Last week, Michigan Tech put out a survey seeking feedback from students relating to the school’s hazard mitigation efforts. This feedback is to be incorporated in the 2025 update to their multi-hazard mitigation plan. They are looking to identify places where environmental hazards are potentially a risk to those on campus, and take action to reduce those risks. The survey is due by Mar. 15, and is accessible through the MTU Hazard Mitigation Planning website provided below. All responses submitted to the survey will remain anonymous, to be used strictly by the Hazard Mitigation Committee. 

Hazard mitigation covers adjusting infrastructure and related planning to reduce the loss of life and property due to environmental disasters. This covers planning for the effects of climate change, as well as evaluating the risks of some human-made threats such as cyber attacks, pandemics, and terrorism. While there is a focus on environmental disasters, the hazard mitigation committee seeks to reduce the impacts of any threat to the campus community.

If you want to get further involved into this process, the Steering Committee has a meeting scheduled on Mar. 19 from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. being held in the MUB Alumni Lounge. This meeting is open to the public, and is recurring over the next few months. The exact schedule is available on the provided website. The current MTU Multi-Hazard Mitigation Plan is also available to view at the Facilities Management building on campus, or you can email facilities@mtu.edu to view a digital copy. 

Please visit the following website for the survey, and additional information:https://www.mtu.edu/facilities/resources/hazard-mitigation-planning. If you have any further questions, you can also reach out to Lori Weir via email at llweir@mtu.edu or via phone at 906-487-1452.