What does MTU mean to you?

What is Michigan Tech for me? Frankly speaking I do not have a single and simple answer for this question as this one is a lot trickier to answer than it looks, but who likes easy and simple answers?

Let me start with a little story. Once upon a time, a rural guy with neither lots of money nor the knowledge to succeed decided to study more so that he could be successful in life. So, he started struggling and went out to achieve his dreams. After failing in every aspect of life, at last he got his admission in a very good institute. For that guy, the institute became the first step towards success and as a matter of fact we both share the same story and that insti­tute for me is MTU, my first step towards success.

I recently heard the term “cultural shock.” It means that when you move from your home country to another one which has everything different from food to culture, it feels bad for a few days and then you get habituated to that culture, problem solved.

But I think “cultural shock” did not affect me that much; yes we all miss our family, but here people are so helpful and friendly that you do not feel that you are far from home. I will also say that I highly under­estimated the Houghton winter. I came to Houghton wearing my sneakers and it was a very cold and adventurous experience for me which I will never try again for sure but the warm hospitality of MTU people made the weather just a feeble matter to worry about.

So, MTU for me is now my family, my community.

There was a Bollywood movie called “3 idiots” where the hero tells his professor that this is a college, not a pressure cooker because of huge academic loads in that col­lege. In my few days of MTU studies I viv­idly realized what the hero meant by saying “pressure cooker.”

MTU for me is my pressure cooker but I have also realized that we all have levelled up and at this level this pressure is just a mundane thing.

Frankly speaking I have not seen this much of snow in my entire life, so doing snow sports is a distant topic for me but in the MTU community I went for sled­ding, snowboarding and a lot of snow fun. So, MTU for me is a “how to have fun in the snow” guide. I am trying to be short and precise on providing the answer to the question but these are just a few answers and there are huge answers waiting to be unveiled. MTU inspires me a lot; every student, every faculty member and every person related to MTU works really hard to carry on the glory this institute holds. A new place, a new journey, a new adventure and also little bit of “cultural shock.” I think I have a single and simple answer now: MTU is my life and I enjoy every bit of it. So tell me, what is MTU for you?