World Report: 02/02/2017

Mosque shooting in Quebec

Six people were killed and eight were injured during a shooting at the Quebec Islamic Cultural Center on Sunday night, according to the BBC. Police secured the area and arrested two suspects nearby, allowing the safe evacuation of the thirty-nine uninjured persons. It is believed that the arrested suspects were the only ones involved in the attack, and that they were students at a nearby university.

Drug war on hold in Philippines

Drug units are being disbanded after a South Korean businessman was killed inside of Police Headquarters. Chief of Police Ronald dela Rosa has said that he plans on investigating corrupt police before potentially reinstating the previous anti-drug measures, according to the BBC. The antidrug forces in the Philippines have been the target of external criticism since President Rodrigo Duterte instituted perhaps the world’s strictest anti-drug policies. Duterte, whose term ends in 2022, has not yet commented on the suspension of war on drugs.

“Man in the Hat” sent to France

Muhamed Abrini, who was arrested in April after being caught on a security camera with bombers who attacked a Brussels airport in March, has been handed over to French Authorities in relation to the attacks in Paris on Nov. 13, 2015. Abrini is believed to have been spotted in Paris two days before the attacks, and his fingerprints were found in one of the cars that were used, according to the BBC. He has also admitted to having brought one of the suspects in the Paris attack back into Brussels.

U.K. split over Brexit

Political leaders of Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales are petitioning for a larger role in Brexit negotiations. While parts of the U.K., many of the “devolved governments” are not interested in leaving the European Union. While Scotland is largely concerned over trade, as the choice to leave the E.U. has many economic implications, there are other geopolitical concerns as well, especially in Ireland. Northern Ireland is a part of the U.K., while the southern part of the island is not, and Ireland is not leaving the E.U. when the U.K. does, meaning that border security between Ireland and Northern Ireland may need to be improved.