Books galore at Winter Carnival

Winter Carnival this year will be packed with tons of events, games and sculptures to enjoy. In addition to all the outdoorsy activities like human dogsled racing and fireworks, there will also be a used book sale in the Van Pelt and Opie Library. Not only will there be plenty of books at a low cost, there will also be free hot chocolate hosted by the Friends of the Library. In addition to books, copper mining notecards and Michigan Tech blankets will also be for sale. If books and blankets aren’t your style, they will also be accepting donations and all proceeds will go toward supporting the library.

Last year the Winter Carnival book sale managed to break records selling $500 in books, as a result of having more books laid out for people to choose from. They also received $200 in donations which all went towards supporting the Van Pelt and Opie Library. The Friends of the Library are dedicated to making the library a better place so that students and faculty from all over campus can use and have access to its resources.

Andrew Brown, a first-year electrical engineering major, said, “I use the library pretty regularly,” at least three times a week.” This seems to be the attitude of many, and the Friends of the Library website also points out that the library is a vital resource on campus, which is why they work so hard to create fundraisers and build support for it.

“I didn’t know about it [the free hot chocolate], but it sounds pretty good to me!” said Brown. If you can’t make it to the book sale during Winter Carnival, there will also be the annual used book sale on April 1, so you can always drop by then to support your library and pick up a few good reads.

If you’re interested in going to the Used Book Fair, it will be held in the Van Pelt and Opie Library lobby on February 11 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.