Huskies claim victory over No. 24 Northern Michigan Wildcats

This past Saturday, the Michigan Tech men’s basketball team rolled past the No. 24 ranked Northern Michigan Wildcats in an 80-69 victory. Sophomore guard Marcus Tomashek scored 34 points in a dominant effort to lead the Huskies to victory in front of a packed house of 1,300 people at the SDC Gymnasium. 

The Huskies went into halftime down 37-32 to the Wildcats but came out explosive in the second half, focusing on embracing the clash of styles and turning the direction of the game around, opting for a higher pace of play and trying to play their style of basketball. This change led to them outscoring the Wildcats 48-32 in the second half and securing the win. Head Coach Josh Buettner said in the post-game interview, “The clash of styles turned in our direction, and that was the tale of two halves and how the game turned out. It’s fun to see Marcus get hot, and he’s had stretches in games this year where he’s gone off like that – when you have a guy that’s hot and is gonna make shots, you give him the ball. That’s something I learned from Coach Luke a long time ago.” 

With this victory, this marks the men’s team’s 3rd win on their recent winning streak, putting their record at 9-14 overall and 6-8 in the GLIAC conference. This win helps build the Huskies’ momentum as they coast into the last 4 games of the season, with games against Wayne State, Saginaw Valley State, Davenport, and Grand Valley State to close the season out. 

The Women’s Team didn’t share the same dominance this week against the Northern Michigan Wildcats, being without senior forward Sara Dax, and losing 70-45. Michigan Tech head women’s basketball coach Sam Clayton said in the post-game interview, “We got to be able to flip those runs sooner… Obviously, it affects us not having Sara, and she is a go-to player when we need a bucket.” 

With this past loss, the Women’s team falls to 12-10 overall and 8-6 in the conference, closing out the season against the same teams as the Men’s team: Wayne State, Saginaw Valley State, Davenport, and Grand Valley State. 

Both the men’s and women’s games were in support of the Play4Kay initiative, a platform which has raised over $7.88 million in the fight against cancers affecting women. For more information and updates on Michigan Tech’s basketball teams, visit the Michigan Tech Athletics website at https://www.michigantechhuskies.com.