Spring break 2024: what you need to know

Spring break is coming up very soon, and earlier than previous semesters. This year, spring break begins Friday, Feb. 23, with classes resuming on Monday, Mar. 4. While many students will be off campus, some will be staying over break. Students that are living in the residence halls have some things to do before break starts, and should be aware of limited services if staying. 

If you live in the residence halls and are leaving, you must walk through the “Spring Break Departure Checklist” found on the MTU housing services website provided below. This checklist ensures that you clean up your dorm and shared kitchenette, close and lock your windows, as well as other details. This helps the maintenance staff when they are addressing issues in each room on Saturday, Feb. 24. Make sure to go over the checklist before you leave. 

If you are taking the USG Break Bus, you should be aware of the following. According to an announcement from Cole Pierucki, USG Events Committee Chair and Break Bus Coordinator, “If you purchase a ticket, it is YOUR responsibility to complete our liability release google form…Students who do not complete the waiver cannot board the bus!” Ticket purchases have since closed, but if you have purchased a ticket, release forms are due on Wednesday, Feb. 21 by 5 p.m. This will have been emailed to your student gmail account. As a reminder, buses will be departing on Feb. 24 at 8 a.m., and returning on Mar. 3 at 8 a.m. If you have questions or concerns, reach out to usg@mtu.edu

For students who are staying on campus over break, especially those in the residence halls, there are some service changes during spring break you should know. Most importantly, if you are staying you must sign a “Request To Stay for Break” form by Wednesday, Feb. 21 on the MTU housing services website provided below. Dining services will be limited, so be sure to check the provided website for details on your hall and more. Parking will also be restricted over break, as all vehicles must be moved to Lot 26A by Sunday, Feb. 25 at 10 p.m. If you need regular access to your vehicle, you can contact the Transportation Services Office for other options. 

For more information on the USG Break Bus, visit www.usgatmtu.mtu.edu/break-bus. For more information on services over break, visit mtu.edu/housing/education/break/spring/. If you have any further questions, you can also contact Residence Education and Housing Services at 906-487-2682 or email housing@mtu.edu