Winter carnival festivities organized by Blue Key National Honor Society

This week, Michigan Tech is celebrating its annual Winter Carnival celebration. The event first started in 1922 and has been organized by the Blue Key National Honors Society since 1934. Winter Carnival has grown to be one of the largest annual winter celebrations in the Keweenaw and it is completely organized by the students

President of Blue Key, Joe Dlugos, provided some insight on what this year’s festivities will look like. Due to this year’s weather, the curling events and the broomball tournament  planned for Saturday, Feb. 10 have been canceled. The warmer weather has made the ice rink conditions too unstable for the tournament to take place. Luckily, the All-Star Broomball game is still planned to happen. The event will occur Wednesday, Feb. 7, from 9 p.m. to 11 p.m. during the all-nighter.

Winter Carnival will also be hosting a brand new event this year. Blue Key has organized for Red Bull to come out with a custom DJ truck. The truck will be playing music and passing out Red Bulls on Wednesday night from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m. outside of the Memorial Union Building. Joe Dlugos states that he gives full credit to a Michigan Tech Student Marketeer at Red Bull, Brad Busby. The Michigan Tech Audio Engineering Society are also hoping to have their annual all-nighter set up as well. They are finalizing details regarding speakers and overall set up to ensure it is suitable and stable for this year’s weather.

Many other events are still taking place as planned. The human dog sled race will take place on Thursday, Feb. 8 at 3:30 p.m. at the Recreational Sports Fields. There will also be the annual fireworks display on Saturday, Feb. 10 at 8:30 p.m. at Mont Ripley. Additionally, there will be the Snow Show, sponsored by the Michigan Tech Sledheads, that will take place on Saturday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the Michigan Tech Campus in Lot 27.

“I like putting this on for not only our Tech community but our Alumni, our Keweenaw community members. Seeing those families walk through Winter Carnival really brings me joy and puts a smile on my face,” said Dlugos. Michigan Tech’s Winter Carnival is a time where student organizations can showcase their activities, students and alumni can enjoy the festivities, and families from all around the Keweenaw can enjoy the winter celebration.