Houghton hosts indoor winter farmer’s market

St. Ignatius Loyola Catholic Church, located at 305 Portage St. Houghton, MI, is hosting the local winter farmer’s market every Thursday from 3 p.m. to6 p.m. until Apr. 25. Located just a few blocks away from the Michigan Tech campus,  students can take a quick walk or drive to pick up some local gifts, produce, breads, and more. Some of the vendors currently there are Superior Cupcakes (bakery items), Copper Country Creations (homemade bagels), Arcadian Hill Handmade (soap, skin care), Living Proof Brewing Company (kombucha), and more!

While living in Houghton has many benefits, it can be hard to find good local produce and products in such a small town. The farmers market gives us those options while also supporting great vendors in our community. 

James Niemela with the Chassell Market Community helps run this event every week, and says he’s seeing new faces coming in and a lot of older regulars. Niemela also says he’s happy to see the market continue and looking forward to seeing more people coming in. They are looking for more vendors so if you are looking to become a vendor, he would love to hear from you. You can find their information at https://chassellmarket.com

If you haven’t had the opportunity to check out a farmers’ market during the summer, you still have a chance with the winter market. You never know what kind of products you may find and love. 

2 Responses