Women’s Soccer on the Bubble

The Huskies’ season is in limbo after a loss to Parkside last Monday. The women’s soccer team took the field in the rain against Parkside in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) quarterfinals at Sherman Field. Early in the contest a Husky goal was called off due to an offside call. The Huskies scored first with midfielder Seulgi Lee securing a free kick from just outside the 18 yard box. In the first half, possession was dominated by the Huskies but they only had one goal to show for it. After halftime, Parkside was gaining more possession and the game began to go both ways. It wasn’t until the 85th minute that Parkside netted an equalizer. With the game tied and five minutes left, the energy level at the stadium spiked. Those last five minutes favored Parkside, scoring the final goal with just 1:37 left in the game. Lee lofted a promising ball into the box as time expired, but the final whistle hindered that opportunity. After the regular season and playoffs, the team’s record comes in at 8-4-7. 

This result slots the Huskies in third place in the GLIAC and ends their season for now. The NCAA tournament is on the horizon and the team will be carefully watching for the announcement of NCAA qualifiers as they are firmly on the bubble. In its short history, founded in 2010, MTU’s team has made the tournament twice but not since 2014. They were close in 2021, and this year provides another chance for the team to advance. “As long as no one gets upset in the next couple of games we should be in,” senior forward Kiersen Korienek said. Finishing third in the GLIAC could be enough for the Huskies to move on and be one of the eight teams from the Midwest that will make the tournament.