Huskies face off against Ferris

Saturday afternoon the Michigan Tech women’s basketball team beat Ferris State by a whopping 70-56. The victory was the fourth straight GLIAC win and the second four game winning streak for the Huskies.

“I was really glad that we were able to finish off our stretch at home with a win. The past couple games have been tough, but that’s how it is going to be in this conference. I’m proud of the way that we finished the game with our free throws. They were cutting our lead and making a really big push on us late and our free throw shooting down the stretch was a big key to getting this win,” head coach Kim Cameron commented.

Senior guard Morgan Anderson led the team in points and assists for the day and was subsequently named GLIAC North Division Player of the Week.  This is the third time this season Anderson has been honored with the title. Redshirt junior guard Brenna Heise led the team in rebounds for the day. The lady Huskies are currently in second place in the GLIAC North Division standings.

The Michigan Tech men’s basketball team fell to Ferris State Saturday, missing the win 77-76.

“I thought we played a better second half, and had we played a bit smarter in the first half we would have given ourselves a better chance to win… I believed all along that we could make a run somewhere in this game, and if we would not have gotten so far down I thought that run in the second half could have given us a little bit more cushion. Give Ferris State credit, they are a very good team and put us behind in the first half, forcing us to make up a lot of ground in the second half,” head coach Kevin Luke commented.

Senior guard Jordan Chartier boasted a single-game career-high in points with 28 for the day, leading the team. Freshman guard Tommy Lucca led the team in assists while sophomore forward Kyle Monroe led in rebounds.

“The first half they did a good job getting us out of our systems, a little sped up doing uncharacteristic stuff. We emphasized that at half-time, and we needed to slow down and get into our type of game and we accomplished that in the second half,” Chartier commented.

The Michigan Tech men’s Huskies are currently tied for second in the GLIAC North Division standings.