Students look to form theatre club

The Theatre Club at Michigan Tech held a meeting to discern interest on Tuesday, Oct. 17. Lucy Straubel organized the interest meeting. Straubel wants to start this club because they want to see more opportunities for students to perform and do other theatre-related activities. Attendants decided who would hold E-board positions in the club during the meeting. Straubel became President, Becca Feber became Treasurer, and Nate Miller became Secretary. The position for Vice President is still open. The official name for the theatre club is also still undecided. They plan to proceed with the registration process, and hold their next meeting on Friday, Oct. 27 at 5 p.m. in Walker 210. Straubel was inspired to start a theater club because currently there aren’t a lot of opportunities for students to be part of theater productions. Michigan Tech only holds two shows each year. 

Straubel also guides campus tours,and says a frequent question is if the school has a theatre club. They also think that a theatre club would be a great creative outlet for students, and a fun and supportive environment that can be a break from school work. Straubel said, “It’s a great way to make friends. It’s a great way to build a community. Theatre is generally a pretty supportive place.” They hope the club can also be a good environment for people without any previous experience and who want to learn more about theatre. 

Straubel has some plans for what the theater club can do, but they also want to hear ideas from members. They said, “I have a couple ideas, but I also want it to be kind of student-dicated.” Some of their ideas are to have readings of plays and student-directed one-act plays. They want students to have the chance to produce and direct, as and work with makeup and costumes. They would also like to have an end-of-year showcase where students can perform. Straubel hopes to do some improv at the club’s next meeting.