Off Campus Housing Resources

Off-campus rental housing for the 2024-2025 academic year is beginning to open up. However, the openings have a tendency to fill up quickly, a problem that becomes increasingly difficult every year. Anyone who intends to live off-campus for next year is suggested to begin searching as soon as possible. Fortunately, there are numerous resources available to make the search easier. 

The Undergraduate Student Government (USG) at Tech has some excellent resources for both finding rental properties and learning general information about renting. The off-campus housing section of the USG website contains listings from many Houghton area landlords for both houses and apartments. The USG website also has resources for prospective tenants. There are tips for things to look for when inspecting a property, as well as contact information for city officials. USG also provides detailed explanations of the rights and responsibilities of tenants, according to Michigan law, as well as the rights and responsibilities of landlords. Lastly, the website also provides quick links to various private rental agencies in the Houghton area. 

The Undergraduate Student Government’s off campus housing website can be found here: https://www.usgatmtu.mtu.edu/off-campus-housing. 

Another great resource for prospective tenants is the Keweenaw Tenants Union. According to the KTU’s founder, the union “is a place to vent, compare notes, and organize to improve our collective living situations”. The KTU consists of a discord server for Houghton area tenants, and especially MTU students, to gather and share information regarding rental housing. The server is an excellent resource to find housing options that may slip through the cracks of other sources, ask experienced tenants questions, find roommates for larger rentals, and get notified of any important events or changes regarding renting in the Houghton area. 

The Keweenaw Tenants Union discord server can be found through the USG off campus housing website, or at the following link: https://discord.com/invite/pMwv5xwdyd.