Michigan Tech Women’s Soccer falls to Grand Valley State University

On Oct. 1, 2023 the Husky soccer team lost a hard-fought game 2-0 to the current first place team in the conference, the Grand Valley Lakers. The loss at Kearly Stadium brought their current conference record to 3-1-2 and overall record to 4-2-4. 

Despite leading Grand Valley 7-5 in shots on goal, Michigan Tech gave up two unlucky goals on set plays. The first Lakers goal was scored in the first half after connecting a corner kick to a header. The second Lakers goal was scored in the second half on a penalty kick after an unfortunate handball in the box. 

“We got pretty unlucky on two set piece goals, but at the same time they didn’t score during the play,” senior defender Mikayla Marshalek said, “We were able to move the ball pretty well against a very technical team…For both halves, we were in their half a lot.” 

Cassie Bonifas ended the game with two shots on goal. Bonifas had two penalty kick opportunities from the 40-yard line, but they were ultimately stopped by Grand Valley’s goalkeeper. Seulgi Lee had two shots on goal, followed by Julia Pietila, Taylor Noble, and Brooke Green each with one shot on goal. However, the Huskies were not able to capitalize on the opportunities. Additionally, goalkeeper Gracie VanLangevelde had three saves during the game. 

The Huskies will play again on Friday, Oct. 6 at 7 p.m. at Kearly Stadium against their rivals, the Northern Michigan University Wildcats. They will then have their chance at redemption against the Grand Valley Lakers in an away game on Friday, Oct. 13 at 7 p.m. More information can be found on the Michigan Tech Women’s Soccer website.