MTU cardboard boat race continues to host fun

On Friday, Sep. 29 at 4 p.m., Michigan Tech kicked off their annual Homecoming weekend cardboard boat race. Student teams from on and off-campus spent weeks building their boats, and their hard work paid off on Friday afternoon. Student spectators arrived at the Houghton Waterfront Park to watch the races and enjoy the afternoon. As the racers prepared to compete, excitement rose. 

Despite the cool and cloudy fall afternoon, the racers were excited to compete. For many students participating in the races, the event is a highlight of their fall semester. One student, Jeff Gillis, of the team Milkshakers, shared his thoughts, saying that his team “loved it and it was so much fun”. His team, composed of primarily first-year students, lasted 58 seconds before sinking, and tied with another team. Participating in the races creates lasting memories and brings students closer to the Tech community. Michigan Tech strengthens connections by maintaining a good relationship with the local community. After the boats sink, racers must remove all debris from the water in order to keep the Portage clean. 

As Homecoming week comes to an end, students continue to enjoy the festivities such as the football game and tailgate. The cardboard boat race is a Tech tradition that spans back decades, and the spirit has withstood the test of time. Placed in the last few weeks of Houghton’s short warm season, Homecoming weekend serves as a final celebration of fall and a “welcome back” to the Michigan Tech community.