Capping off Homecoming: a football game leaves students baffled

Spirited athletes and a tremendous student turnout weren’t enough to keep the Davenport University Panthers at bay, leading to a 28-0 loss by the Michigan Technological University football team. 

Students, staff, and locals alike rushed to attend the annual Homecoming football game and tailgate this past Saturday, Sep. 29, as it denoted the conclusion of Homecoming and the announcement and crowning of the Homecoming Court. 

Tailgating before the game was populated with koozies, coolers, and grills. The still and humid weather demanded shorts, making those swayed by the absence of sun remove their hoodies. “We are worried that rain might come through in the next hour or thereabouts,” said student attendee Ryan Terrell, “thankfully we were smart and brought our tent.”

MTU Huskies face off with the DU Panthers for the Homecoming Game (Joe Schallmo)

The Panthers kicked off the game at 1 p.m. with the Huskies receiving. The game remained scoreless until 15 minutes into the first quarter when the Panthers scored a touchdown after a 70 yard drive. The second quarter stayed much the same before the Panthers scored another touchdown as time expired. When the game resumed after halftime, the Panthers expanded their lead with another touchdown after a 69 yard drive. The fourth quarter proved unproductive for the Huskies as well, as the Panthers scored their final touchdown with a 72 yard punt return. 

“The student section was alive and supported the team quite a bit”, stated wide receiver coach Kellen O’Neill, “but we ended the game with the first loss of the season.” Despite their loss, the team remains optimistic with their 3-1 record. 

Michigan Tech focused its offensive efforts toward wide receiver Darius Willis, making five receptions for 43 yards. On the ground, running back William Marano took the lead with seven carries, gaining a total of 20 yards. 

Disparities between the Huskies’ defense and the Panthers’ offense were evident by the gap in possession time, with the Panthers’ total time of possession being 41:07 and the Huskies’ with only 18:53. 

Not all was a loss to spectators however, as there were plenty of tailgating activities before and during the game, as well as the announcement of the Homecoming Court during halftime. Ally O’Neill and Olivia Luke were crowned into the Homecoming Court by President Koubek before the field was taken over by the Pep Band for a performance.