Saturday Vegas Night a success!

Trying Blizzard's luck at poker, photo by Conlan Houston

On Saturday, April 1, the McNair Hall Association (MHA) hosted an event aptly named Vegas Night in Fisher Hall. The Vegas Night event was not only an event to give students something to do on Saturday, but an event to collect donations of food and spare clothes. 

Vegas Night was free and involved students receiving a stack of $250 worth of MHA-branded Vegas Night money. The students were then able to spend this money on a wide variety of Las Vegas-inspired games, where students would wager their money in attempts to gain more. Some of the many games offered were card games such as blackjack and Texas hold-em. 

Non-card games were also provided, including roulette as well as Kahoot and bingo. After counting their winnings or spending the last of their money on games, students were then able to turn in their money for tickets to go toward the raffle being held. 

Students were incentivized to participate in the donation of clothes and food as they were rewarded with tickets that could go towards the raffle for doing so. 

The event was considered a success by MHA. Along with a large number of participants, MHA was able to raise hundreds of donations of food and clothes. 

MHA also partnered with Film Board to have a free movie shown during the event, including free popcorn and water. Film Board and MHA chose to show the 1998 film Rush Hour starring Jackie Chan and Chris Rock. 

At the end of the night, the winning raffle tickets were selected from the jar. MHA offered a wide variety of prizes ranging from a cooking set, including small cooking utensils and equipment, to a large Star Wars themed Lego set depicting the AT-AT.