Huskies lose basketball game to Parkside Rangers despite early lead

The Husky Men’s Basketball team lost to Parkside University on Saturday, Feb. 18. After some risky playing tactics, MTU ultimately fell 76-58. 

The Huskies recognized early on that they were at a disadvantage, and decided shooting three pointers was the best plan of attack, putting them ahead in the opening minutes. It didn’t last long, and the game eventually ended 76-58.

Soon after the clock started, it became clear that Michigan Tech was at a disadvantage. Parkside had a strong defense, preventing the Huskies from scoring consistent points. In an effort to play around this, Tech opted to circumvent the defense by shooting threes instead. At the start of the game, this proved effective, with the Huskies sinking three-point shots with remarkable consistency, and almost every successful scoring attempt being for three points. At first, it looked like Tech had gone for high risk, high reward, and it was paying off.

As the first half went on, the Huskies’ lead slowly slipped away. For a moment, it appeared as if they had cracked Parkside’s defense, and they were able to hold Parkside off for a while. But as halftime approached, Parkside had regained the lead and was up by 8 points with a score of 27-35. The second half wasn’t any better. The Huskies were able to put up a big of a fight, but only fell further and further behind as the game went on. In the final few minutes, as the gap grew to over 20 points, Tech decided to return to the strategy they employed at the beginning of the game to try and close the gap, but to little avail. With Parkside playing very strong throughout the game, the Huskies started to try and make up some points with three-point shots. However, they were unable to contest with Parkside and create a closer game, ending 18 points down.

Michigan Tech plays again against Northern Feb. 25 in the SDC gym, hopefully evening the score after their loss with them back in January.