Huskies Ask – Dr. Marika Seigel

Huskies Ask is a weekly column where we send questions to different Michigan Tech faculty and staff each week. 

This week, we reached out to Dr. Marika Seigel, the Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education and Dean of the Pavlis Honors College!

(1) Where is your home town and when did you come to Michigan Tech?

My hometown is Houghton, Michigan! After I graduated from high school, I lived lots of other places, including Ann Arbor, Chicago, and Tartu, Estonia, but I returned to Houghton when I was hired as an Assistant Professor in the department of Humanities in 2005. I have to say that I was very eager to leave and explore the world at seventeen years old, but after leaving I realized what a unique and special place this is. 

(2) What is your favorite thing about Michigan Tech?

My favorite thing about Michigan Tech is the community, both the campus and the local community. Having been at other institutions, I can say that Michigan Tech is unique in terms of the close-knit and supportive community that exists among students and also between students, faculty, and staff. People are really willing and eager to support one another and to help one another out. 

(3) What separates Pavlis Honors College apart from other honors colleges?

Graduating with honors means that you are poised for success in your future life. A lot of other honors colleges pin that to GPA. Success in life, however, is about more than your undergraduate GPA. At Pavlis, we provide you with a toolkit for lifelong success: we want to know where you want to go, and we will help you get there. 

(4) What part of being Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education excites you most?

I am excited to improve the undergraduate education experience for students at Michigan Tech. There is a big revision of General Education in the works: stay tuned!