Sidelines: Welcome back!

And then there was snow! Winter sport lovers couldn’t ask for much better than what the beginning of spring semester has given, with plenty of fresh powder for skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling or whatever your favorite outdoor hobby is.

My personal ambition is to build a quinzhee at some point this semester, which is a hollowed-out snow shelter. It’s similar to an igloo, but doesn’t require the making of hardened bricks. They can stay warm enough inside to be comfortable during the long winter nights.

Of course, there are plenty of indoor ways to stay active as well. Badminton is a surprisingly good workout as I’ve discovered in my first week of the class this semester. Of course, at least half of that is the hike to and from the SDC in the snow.

It’s important to build activity into your routine as you put your schedule together this spring. Habits are easy to establish if they make it into your routine.

Especially for those with lots of other engagements, this can be really hard to do. The press of classes, homework and activities can lead to quick, unhealthy meals and a lack of activity.

Being active can make a big difference in your energy and stress levels though, according to a broad scientific consensus.

Exercise stimulates the production of endorphins which are natural painkillers. The Anxiety and Depression Association of America cites evidence suggesting that regular aerobic exercise reduces anxiety, increases sleep and improves self-esteem.

The beginning of 2017 is a great time to make a new start toward a healthier lifestyle, and Houghton has plenty of opportunities to do so. Just because you missed New Year’s resolution time doesn’t mean it’s too late to make a change.

The important thing is to feel good and feel good about yourself. Finding time to be active in your day can be a great way to do that, but don’t do it out of a sense of guilt or obligation. Shame is a terrible reason to do something good for you.

Best of luck to everyone with their spring semesters!