Michigan Tech art gallery “Me, You, Us” shows introspection and connection

After officially opening the Rozsa gallery doors on Monday, Feb. 6, there was an Artist’s Reception for the new art exhibition entitled “Me, You, and Us” on the evening of February 10th. The new art exhibition is the work of three Michigan Tech students, who came together for a project that showcases introspection and connection. 

Maisie Whitaker’s pieces used textiles and fabrics to not only tell a story of folklore using yarn and canvas, but also to create an image of resilience using cut strings being tied back together. She also created a true conversation piece. She reflected that the point of that particular piece was for viewers to see what they wanted to see, whether that be a bunch of curtains, or a tree, or something else. She spoke about how it showcases inclusion in art, and how there isn’t always a “correct answer” when looking for meaning. 

Bobbie Desgrange used this art exhibition to tell a difficult story about a dark time in their life. They used the exact liquor bottle involved in a traumatic event during this time in a piece. They focused on using art to tell a story that they didn’t know how to express otherwise. Bobbie also reflected that during the reception, others had come up to tell Bobbie about times in their own lives that were similar to Bobbie’s. Bobbie reflected that that point was the exact one that they were trying to make with their art. Bobbie also had a piece involving objects protruding from the wall and ground, reflecting the desire to not be touched, especially following the dark period in their life. When told it “looked gross” by a viewer, they responded with “I feel gross when people touch me.” 

Madi Wentela focused on introspection in her pieces, all of which included mirrors. When asked for the inspiration for one piece in particular, a quilt made out of many different fabrics, she stated that it was because she “sees the world as a patchwork quilt.” She went on to explain that some of the fabrics had specific meanings to her, such as a blue upholstery representing suitcase materials, a fabric she was familiar with due to her childhood spent traveling. She also spoke about the cake with a mirror facing the viewer. She said it was an idea she had had “for a long time.” This stemmed from her view of birthday’s being “like how some people see New Year’s, as a time to reflect on the past and look to the future.” Her wishing well piece was inspired by the idea of making that childhood dream of magic, like that from a wishing well, come alive wherever you have it. 

All three artists expressed their appreciation to be able to do this gallery work, and are glad so many people have already come and seen it. The exhibition will continue to be available for public viewing until Feb 25.