Campus crowns 2023 Winter Carnival Royal Majesty

Josie Edick named Royal Majesty; Lila Johnson takes Congeniality Award

After a fierce competition Saturday night, campus crowned the 2023 Winter Carnival Royal Majesty, Josie Edick. Edick was awarded her title at the annual Winter Carnival Royalty Coronation in the Rozsa, where she represented Tau Kappa Epsilon. Other finalists were First Runner Up and Audience Choice winner Lilly Bolliger, Second Runner Up Emily Calhoun, Congeniality Award winner Lila Johnson, Emma Quinn, Hannah Quinn, Madi Owens and Sara Gelon. 

When asked what winning Carnival Royalty meant to her, Edick responded by saying “I remember going to coronation my first year and looking up to the candidates… it was easy to be inspired by them on a campus where women are a minority. I remember seeing them as role models and thinking that they must be driven, successful, and great individuals in order to be chosen as a candidate.” She continued, “Being chosen as the Winter Carnival Royalty Majesty means that and so much more to me. It means being a role model, representing all of Michigan Tech’s Values, and being willing to put yourself out of your comfort zone while on stage for everyone to see.” In addition to that, Edick remained humble and included that all of her co-contestants displayed magnitudes of the same upstanding characteristics and she enjoyed spending time with each of them. 

As the week of Carnival progresses, Edick will be enjoying all of the festivities, as this is her last Winter Carnival before graduation. She is excited to attend the hockey game and present the trophy to the winning team. Her sorority will also be on campus during the all-nighter, teeter-tottering for 36 hours in order to raise money and awareness for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. 

After graduating from Tech this spring, Edick will be staying in Michigan. She states, “I love this state and everything it has to offer!” She is not quite sure where she will end up yet but will likely be taking a job in consulting, water quality, or medical devices.

Following the event, when asked for comment about her experience, Johnson, who won the Congeniality award, stated that it was “the ride of a lifetime” and that she “met so many amazing people” and has “definitely come out better for it.” She continued, stating she “would recommend this experience to absolutely anybody who has the opportunity to participate.”