A new goal for a new year

The new year could be the year where great things happen. For most, 2016 was not the best year. There were many tragedies and losses but that is what is so great about a new year. It gives us a chance to right the wrongs we did in the past and improve ourselves. Many seem to doubt the power of change and because of this, don’t believe the whole “new year, new me” movement.

While we all have our own beliefs, there is some evidence that shows that people can indeed change. Of course, this may not seem immediately apparent; after all, Rome wasn’t built in a day. These changes are incremental but no matter how minute these changes may seem, over a large period of time, they become enormous. A good example of this is compounding interest. One may think a hundred dollars is a small amount but that same amount can significantly increase over a period of time with compound interest. The same can be said about self-improvement. It may not look like much in a span of a few months but if one were desperate enough for change, in a year or two it will become obvious, when looking back, how much a person can transform himself.

There are many ways in which we can improve. For example, maybe instead of immediately bashing other people’s views or beliefs, it might be beneficial to see things from their perspective. Perhaps they believe the things they believe in because of a different upbringing. Another way to improve is by forgiving those that have wronged you. This might not be easy but sometimes it’s not worth carrying the burden or holding a grudge. After all, we all make mistakes. All that is required is that initial step, no matter how small.

Another suggestion on self-improvement would be to start a healthy habit. Maybe instead of skipping breakfast every day, it might be healthier to wake up a few minutes earlier to prepare a healthy smoothie. Another suggestion would be to wake up a little bit earlier to do some meditating or yoga exercises. As mentioned earlier, these don’t have to be giant leaps. One could start with maybe ten or even fifteen minutes if time permits. And the list goes on. Whether it is academic, health or interpersonal, there are numerous ways a person can improve and the only two requirements are the willingness to improve and the initial step. It may sound simple but that’s because it really is and what better time is there to start than now?