A community helps local music programs one step at a time

On Oct. 15, the Houghton community gathered together to support music. The Miles of Music 5K was a philanthropic run to raise money for the Arvon and Stanton township school’s music programs. In total, over $500 dollars were raised for these two schools. 

The group behind this event was Mu Beta Psi (ΜΒΨ) National Honorary Musical Fraternity. The local chapter at Michigan Tech organized the race and the music that played along the race route. In conjunction with the MUB board, they provided the volunteer force for the event. 

“Miles for Music is an important opportunity to support music education programs at local schools that are small, so they may not receive as much recognition or support as many other, larger schools do,” says Mieka Clark, Mu Beta Psi’s Philanthropy Committee Chair. Arvon and Stanton township schools are both within an hour of Houghton and don’t receive as much funding compared to other schools in the area due to their smaller size. 

Local bands Cheblord and Goodie performed sets before and during the race. WMTU provided both equipment for the bands and music in between sets. The Huskies Pep band also played some tunes along the race route for the runners. 

The top three finishers in each age group received a coupon to Respawn Laser Tag. Along with the finisher prizes, there was a raffle after the race with Sunflower Books and Coffee, Joey’s Seafood & Grill, the Ambassador, and Respawn Laser Tag all donating prizes. 

Clark states, “this race was made possible through the support of the community- businesses, students, community members, organizations, musicians, volunteers, everyone who donated and participated.” Mu Beta Psi hopes to turn this race into an annual event and looks forward to raising even more funds for local music programs in the future.