Men’s Hockey: University of Alaska Fairbanks vs. MTU

Michigan Tech hockey swept  University of Alaska Fairbanks in their games last week, defeating them 2-0 last Thursday and 6-2 last Friday. These victories propelled Tech hockey to a 2-1 record. This started their season with some much needed wins after their loss to the under-18 USNTDP team the weekend before and their loss to Ferris State. 

Tech won the first game against Alaska 2-0, earning their goaltender a shutout and claiming their first non-exhibition victory of the season. No goals were scored in an uneventful first period, but Tech scored two goals in the second period. They held Alaska to 0 goals for the rest of the game, and finished with a shutout. Coach Shawhan said that he was “extremely proud” of his players for battling it out and getting the win, saying that “[Alaska] is a good team, they transition really well”. All in all, it was a very exciting victory for Tech. 

Tech won their second game against Alaska 6-2. Tech scored late in the first period to go up 1-0, then solidified their lead early in the second period to go up 2-0. Alaska scored soon after, but Tech answered quickly to make the score 3-1. Tech scored 2 more times in the second period, and Alaska scored once more at the very end of the second period, giving Tech a very comfortable 5-2 lead going into the third. Tech was able to hold this lead, and added one more to the tally in the third period, leading to the final score of 6-2. 

After the second game, Coach Shawhan praised the team’s “outstanding goaltending”, and talked about how well the team played. Hewas very happy with the team after the win, but did comment that they still need to “get ready for Bemidji next week”. Tech hockey is off to a great start this year, and it will be exciting to see how well the team can do.