MTU Kicks off Homecoming 2022

MTU Kicks off preparations for this year’s homecoming which began on Oct. 2 and continues through Oct. 8. There are still plenty of events planned for those that want to participate in this year’s Homecoming including trivia night, the cardboard boat races, and the Homecoming football game against Wayne State University and the court crowning. 

The Michigan Tech famous Cardboard Race will be held Friday, Oct. 7 at 4 p.m. at the Houghton Waterfront Park. Here students will compete as a team on the water, racing their homemade cardboard boats. When interviewing a competitor who wished to stay anonymous, he stated, “We are bringing something really special for this year’s race. We did terrible last year but this time we fixed the problems in our old design and are pretty confident with what we are bringing.” There is a free shuttle that will leave from the MUB and the SDC to take students to and from the Houghton Waterfront Park. There is limited parking at the event so event organizers recommend taking the shuttle. The shuttles will start at 3:00pm and continue until the end of the races. 

The Homecoming football game vs Wayne State University and Court Crowning will be on Saturday, Oct. 8 at 1 p.m. at MTU’s Sherman Field. The first 400 spectators to enter will receive free giveaways. Preceding the Homecoming football game, the Homecoming Tailgate will be providing free food from 11 a.m. to kickoff in Lot 24 near the Kearley Stadium entrance. 

Students will need their HuskyCard ID to get into the game and tailgate. Anyone with a game ticket can also get into the tailgate. 

A complete list and descriptions of Homecoming events plus information on the homecoming competition can be found within the 2022 informational packets. These can be found under Homecoming within the Traditions and Events section of the Student Leadership and Involvement page on the MTU website.