GSG to conduct survey on campus accessibility

The Graduate Student Government met on April 5 to hear about a variety of topics, including accessibility across campus.

In his report, GSG President Nathan Ford discussed the Accessibility Survey of Campus. The survey hopes to improve accessibility across campus and is looking for volunteers to survey areas of external entrances, bathrooms, elevators, and internal doors. “Campus is a big place, so we need some extra hands to help us evaluate,” said Ford. Any graduate student, undergraduate student, faculty member, or staff may volunteer. Those interested in volunteering or wishing to find out additional information can email Ford at gsg-president@mtu.edu or find the event on GivePulse.

During the public comments portion of the meeting, GSG representatives Emily Shaw and Gabriel Ahrendt introduced a letter of support to the service and maintenance workers of the American Federation of State, Country, and Municipality Employees (AFSCME). It calls for  higher wages for union members and returning union work back to union workers. The letter was passed by a vote of 16-10-1 and will be sent to the president of the union and the Michigan Tech Board of Trustees.

The Recommendation for a Campus-Wide Grammarly EDU License Purchase was passed in a 26-0-1 vote, following a survey signaling heavy student enjoyment. The recommendation is now waiting for letters of support from the Undergraduate Student Government and the University Senate.

GSG General body also elected its principal chairs for the next academic year. These included Michael Maurer for Research Chair, Bayle Golden for Professional Development Chair, and Roya Bagheri for Social Chair. Laura Vidal Chiesa was re-elected to the position of Public Relations Chair. They will assume office on May 1.