Students show support for Ukraine

On Thursday, March 17, Ukrainian students Adelina Oronova and Nazar Gora, along with Russian student Zenia (who prefers their last name be kept anonymous), met at the MTU library to discuss a movement they are leading in support of Ukraine. This movement is quickly gaining momentum at Michigan Tech. During this meeting, students presented personal accounts of the ongoing struggle in Ukraine, and how it has affected their lives. 

“I’m from Zaporizhzhia,” Oronova said. Zaporizhzhia is a city in southeastern Ukraine housing Europe’s largest nuclear power plant, which has undergone controversial shelling by Russia. “My city had a few attacks and is more or less fine, but I am afraid that could change at any minute.” 

Gora, who is from a city in western Ukraine, had a similar view. “My city is calm now, but our neighbor was bombarded several times. They are shelling cities, towns. It’s very difficult to absorb here. Russia has opened a wound. Not just a Ukrainian wound, but a wound felt by the whole world.” 

These declarations were presented to the room, chairs and tables strewn with fliers, hand-made signs, and streamers in blue and yellow. “Stop The War,” “Close The Skies,” and “Support Ukraine” were popular slogans. There was less-than-expected attendance, but the students were undeterred. “It is important we’re doing this,” Gora said, “because we show that we [Ukrainians] are here in the Keweenaw, that Michigan Tech cares, and we show that we support Ukraine. It is very important to express this right now. If we gather small things, we can get something bigger.” The Support For Ukraine movement is ongoing, pledged to continue “until the war is over,” and anyone is welcome to attend. 

If you would like to show your support, you can donate to charities dedicated to Ukrainian relief, such as Come Back Alive NGO, Razon Emergency Response Fund, and the Ukrainian Red Cross. A comprehensive list of these resources and organizations may be found at http://linktr.ee/RazonForUkraine, and https://how-to-help-ukraine-now.super.site/. You can also show support by writing to your representatives in Congress at http://democracy.io/#!/ (enter your voting address, write your message, and hit send). 

The Support For Ukraine group gathers at noon every Monday and Thursday at the Husky Statue to demonstrate their support. They also hold a Walk for Ukraine from Houghton to Hancock every Wednesday at 5 p.m. at the Portage Lift Bridge. 

One Response

1. I have donated to Come Back Alive… they are by far the largest private charity supporting the Ukrainian military, their accounting of money coming in and going out is published openly for public inspection, and the Ukrainian-language version of Forbes magazine called their reputation “impeccable.” I personally have great faith in them, in this world full of scammers, because you can “triangulate” them through well-known Ukrainian media sources, and even the Ukrainian government itself.

They supply life-protecting (and mission-enhancing) equipment to the Ukrainian army, such as helmets, body armor, night vision and thermal imaging equipment. They have also been active between Russian invasions, helping to rehabilitate injured or traumatized soldiers.

Come Back Alive now accepts credit and debit card transfers.