This week at USG

This week at USG, a representative from the Center for Student Mental Health and Well-Being attended the general body meeting to act as a liaison between the two groups. Meredith Raasio answered questions regarding the scope of the center as well as how USG can help increase student engagement. 

President Zachary Olson and the Student Affairs representative, Ian Boulis, discussed the recent town hall meeting in which students were able to meet in order to discuss concerns related to dining services. USG wanted to extend their thanks to everyone involved in the town hall, ensuring constituents that they will “do what they can with the information they gathered.” 

17 of the 21 members of USG will be attending a QPR training session hosted by the Center for Student Mental Health and Wellbeing. This acronym stands for “Question, Persuade, Refer” and will help USG representatives learn how to help and guide students facing a mental health crisis towards the proper resources. 

College of Engineering representative Kaydence Drys brought up concerns which had been raised by her constituents regarding a few of the engineering fundamentals courses required for First Years. Students have expressed upset over the tediousness of these courses as well as the apparent lack of pertinence to their field.

Budget Hearings will begin today and last until this upcoming Sunday, Feb. 27. RSOs are encouraged to make sure that they have all their necessary information in.

Lindsey Prodin was sworn in as an At Large Representative, joining fellow representative Jordan Wheeler. 

USG would like to inform students that their Off-Campus Housing site has been updated to include more relevant information regarding renter’s rights and what to look for and be aware of when touring potential living spaces. This information can be found under the Tenants section of the site. 

Students are encouraged to continue voting on USG’s constitution. USG members will be available at a booth in the library on Thursday, Feb. 24, Monday, Feb. 28, and Tuesday, March 1 to discuss their constitution and answer any related questions. There will be free candy for voters. 

If you have any questions or concerns for USG please email USG President Zachary Olson at usg-president@mtu.edu or fill out the form on their website.