100 years ago: The cold north.

The following article ran in the March 2, 1922 issue of the M.C.M. Lode. 

The winters of the Copper Country are somewhat elaborately described by the answer to a question asked by a freshman of a soph, “How long are the winters here Bill?” The answer given by Bill was: “I don’t know, I’ve only been here eighteen months.”

The summers are ideal and though the winters are long, cold and with plenty of snow, they are unexcelled for winter sports. The majority of the students, coming as they do from places where this condition does not exist, take full advantage of it while here.

There is nothing like a gold old-fashioned sleigh-ride, where, in company with an amiably disposed damsel, you take a ride out to one of the neighboring towns, enjoy yourself at a party dance with hot coffee and eats and journey back, trying to find harmony in the song of long ago. Snowshoeing parties are another means of bracing one up for the next day’s work. There have been many parties and sleigh-rides lately which were enjoyed by many of the students, being doubly appreciated by the presence of the ideal weather, which followed the storm of last week. 

Many of the fellows wish for something a little more adventurous. This is to be found in skiing and tobogganing which vie with R1 in obtaining exercise and excels in giving one the chance to wear a bandage.

Before the winter is over, we will all at least know what skis are. The Copper Country is filled with fine hills for skiing and tobogganing and they are certainly used for such. Seeing two little girls of five years of age perform on skates at the Ice Carnival last week brings home to us the fact that we are not alone in enjoying winter.