Staying safe while having fun at Winter Carnival

Winter Carnival is a fun time for Michigan Tech students: no classes, pretty scenery, and a great reason to stay up all night. In short, a party. But carnival is just one of the operative words in this tradition. Winter is cold, and the All-Nighter even more so. Frostbite, hypothermia, and many other maladies related to Houghton’s more extreme temperatures can be a hazard. Here are just a few ways you can stay safe while still having fun.

As Deputy Chief Reid DeVoge of Campus Public Safety put it: “Don’t try to brave it out longer; it’s not a competition. If you’re feeling cold, go inside and warm up. [Generally] every hour, try to find a place to warm up, even just for a few minutes.”  Warm-up stations will be open throughout campus, including both the MUB and Fisher Hall. 

During the All-Nighter, the MUB will be hosting a variety of activities, including live karaoke from 8-11 p.m. Additional live music, as well as dancing and free food, will be held near the MUB circle from 6 p.m. onward. Food will also be available at the Cafe in Wads. Hot chocolate will be served near the broomball courts. 

In the event of an emergency, a first aid station will be set up outside Fisher, facing the campus core. EMS will be on standby, as well as rotating through the campus area. If you or a friend need help, you can always bring them to the first aid station, or if they are unable to move, call the Michigan Tech emergency number or 911 for help. “Michigan Tech operates under the Good Samaritan Clause,” Deputy Chief DeVoge stressed. “We want people to stay safe.” Under the Good Samaritan Provision, a student in distress from alcohol or drug use or those helping them have the freedom to seek help without fear of punishment. 

Proper dress, good hydration, and hourly warm-up breaks go a long way to staying safe in the cold. Alcohol may impair one’s ability to determine if they are too cold. When in doubt, it’s best to be safe. If you feel too cold, or you’re experiencing numbness or pain in your limbs, take a break inside.