100 years ago: Student body changes hockey ticket tariff

The following article ran in the Feb. 2, 1922 issue of the M.C.M. Lode. 

At a meeting of the Students’ Organization held in the Gymnasium Thursday, Jan. 26, it was decided to fix the par value of the student athletic tickets at thirty-five cents for the hockey games. This means that each holder of a student ticket must pay the per capita tax of fifteen cents required by the Amphidrome management in order to secure a general admission ticket, or the per capita tax plus forty cents for a reserved seat. This applies only to tickets secured in exchange for athletic tickets. This step was recommended by Acting Assistant Hockey Manager Aspoas, after Prof. Fisher had reported a deficit of at least one hundred and seventy-seven dollars on the three games recently played with the University of Michigan. Announcement was then made that seats reserved for the students would consist of a block on the north side of the ice. This arrangement enables the fans of Houghton to occupy the seats which a time-honored custom reserves for them. Acting Assistant Manager Aspoas was then unanimously elected Assistant Hockey Manager.

President McNair then addressed the students on the responsibility which each and every student carries in his actions and remarks about the college. He impressed upon those present the necessity of weighing carefully any criticism or remarks which they may have to make in regard to any other student, the faculty, or the administration. No person should form an opinion or voice a criticism based on mere hearsay, but should be governed in that respect by his own personal dealings with the person criticised. 

The last few minutes of the hour were spent in a “pep” meeting in which Assistant Yell-master Falomir succeeded in instilling a little more of the much needed “pep” into those who were fortunate enough to be present for the treatment.