Varsity roundup

Football

The Huskies fell to the University of Findlay this past Saturday, losing 59-21. Saturday was also Senior Night for the Huskies and Michigan Tech honored senior players on the field.

“This senior class is a great group of kids and their first year here earned GLIAC Championship rings,” said head coach Tom Kearly. “They played in the national playoffs, had four winning seasons, and they all have bright futures ahead of them.”

Kearly announced his retirement as head coach, effective this past Monday. Defensive coordinator Steve Olson will take his place, becoming the sixteenth head coach in Michigan Tech history since the program began in 1920.

Hockey

Michigan Tech remains undefeated on home ice after sweeping the Lake Superior State University Lakers this weekend.

The Huskies won 6-1 Friday, earning Head Coach Mel Pearson his hundredth victory.

Freshman forward Gavin Gould was named WCHA Rookie of the Week this week. Gould scored two goals against LSSU Friday night.

Saturday the Lakers came back strong, but the Huskies came back stronger, winning 4-2 to seal the weekend. This past weekend is the only time the Lakers and the Huskies will meet this season.

The Huskies are back on the road to play Alaska-Fairbanks and Alaska-Anchorage the next two weekends.

Volleyball

Husky volleyball swept Lake Superior State 3-0 on Saturday to finish the season 16-14. The Huskies went 11-6 in conference, and will go to the GLIAC tournament as the No. 5 seed.

Graduating seniors Aubrey Ficek and Rachel Pohlod were recognized before the match. Ficek led the team in kills over the day, scoring 11 over the games and Pohlod led with three saves.

The Huskies will start the GLIAC tournament after press time on Wednesday, Nov. 16 with a game against No. 4 seed Saginaw Valley State.