Senate meeting creates Ad-Hoc committees

Vice President Steve Knudstrup led last night’s senate meeting. Proposal 15-22 was brought back to the senate’s attention. It proposes a shift in sabbatical application deadlines from March 15 to Dec. 1. The proposal was postponed for approval to April 6. Senator Jon Sticklen gave the reasoning for postponing the decision to get more feedback and see how peer institutions are handling sabbatical leaves. The senate voted to postpone decision making until more information was received. 

Proposal 16-22 was also brought up again; it would change senate procedure for searching for university presidents. 16-22 was also postponed to April 6 with similar reasoning to Proposal 15-22.

Proposal 23-22 calls for creating an Ad-Hoc committee, who will internally evaluate senate meeting structures and their efficiency. The senate voted in favor of approving the proposal.

A similar proposal (Proposal 25-22) was introduced during the “new business” section. 25-22 would create an Ad-Hoc committee to update senate bylaws and the senate constitution. Ashley Buchanen remarked that the Senate bylaws were “due for a good lookover.” No voting occurred for Proposal 25-22.

Proposal 3-22 was approved to change “Pharmaceutical Chemistry” to “Medicinal Chemistry.” It was approved across the senate. The meeting was adjourned without public comment or additional discussion. 

Meeting agendas and recording can be found on the senate website. The next meeting will occur on Feb. 2 in Dow 632 at 5:30 p.m. Visitors are welcome to attend in person or watch meetings when they are uploaded to their website.

Full meeting agendas and minutes can be found at https://www.mtu.edu/senate/meetings/docs/. The next meeting will occur on Feb. 2 in Dow 632 at 5:30 p.m. Visitors are welcome to attend in person or watch meetings at https://www.mtu.edu/senate/meetings/current/