October sports roundup

If you had to play the Huskies in Oct., you didn’t want to be playing against our women’s volleyball team, who ended the month 18-5 overall, 10-1 in conference play, and ranked 22th in the American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) poll. The team started the month by defeating Wayne State 3 sets to 1. The following day Anna Jonynas notched her 1,000th career kill in a 3-0 defeat of Saginaw Valley State—for her efforts, Jonynas was awarded AVCA National Player of the Week for the second time in her career. The Huskies proceeded to win all three of their games in the Midwest Regional Crossover — Olivia Ghormley earned Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) North Division Volleyball Player of the Week and set the Tech record for kills. The Huskies swept Parkside and Purdue Northwest before falling 3-2 to Minnesota-Duluth, but responded with ferocity, smashing Northern in three sets.

In men’s hockey, Tech is currently ranked 18th in the nation with a 3-2 record. The Huskies began the month tying Northern Michigan 4-4 in an exhibition. On Oct. 8, the Huskies capitalized on a 4-goal second period to defeat 13th ranked Wisconsin, winning 5-2. The next day, Tech bested the previous game’s score, 5-1. On Oct. 15, the Huskies lost their home opener in overtime to Notre Dame, 2-1, then lost in an exhibition to the US National Development Team the next day, 2-1. Last weekend, the Huskies split their away series between Clarkson winning the first tilt 3-0 before falling 2-1—Brian Halonen scored two in Friday’s victory. 

Husky football is 4-4, with a 3-2 record in conference play. They began the month with a 31-7 homecoming victory over Davenport. On Oct. 9, Tech won a thriller against Wayne State, 30-27. Drew Wyble kicked the game-winning 26-yard field goal as time expired. A week later the Huskies brought the Miner’s Cup back to Houghton for the 11th straight season, defeating Northern Michigan 21-14. Will Ark threw an eight-yard pass to Jordan Janssen to score the go-ahead touchdown with just 18 seconds left on the clock. On Oct. 23, the Huskies fell to the top-ranked Ferris State Bulldogs, 38-10. Tech lost again on the 30th to Grand Valley State (GVSU),14-9. 

The Husky women’s soccer team ended October 11-5 overall and 8-4 in the conference, beginning the month with a 3-0 win over Purdue Northwest. Two days later, Tech followed up the effort with a 2-0 win over Northern Michigan. Even though the Huskies were outshot 19-5, goalie Gracie VanLangevelde came up with six saves in the shutout. On Oct. 8th, Tech lost to 9th ranked Ferris State, 2-1, but bounced back with three consecutive one-goal wins against Parkside, Northwood, and Davenport. The Huskies then proceeded to lose to the top-ranked team in Division II, GVSU, 5-0. The Huskies quickly recovered to get revenge against Ferris State, 1-0. The Huskies ended the month on a high note with seniors Stephanie Yeager and Grace Shaw scoring on Senior Night to give Tech a convincing 2-0 win over Saginaw Valley State.  

In cross country, the Husky men started the month by placing 8th out of 27 teams in the Blugold Invite with a total of 240 points. At the Lewis Crossover on Oct. 9 the Husky men took 7th out of 24 teams while the Husky women took 13 out of 25 teams. Tech finished the month strong, with the men placing 2nd and the women 4th in the GLIAC championships. Clayton Sayen took fourth place overall in the men’s 8K race with a 25:04, Michelle Bollini finished eleventh overall in the women’s race with a 6K time of 23:04.