A rundown of coffee in Houghton, by a local

Ahh, coffee. An important staple in many college students’ diets and one of the few things keeping us from dropping out and/or giving up on everything else in life. Luckily enough for those of us who are only kept from the brink of insanity by our daily dose of caffeine, there is an abundance of coffee shops here in Houghton. While all have their perks (haha, get it), they all offer quite different experiences. In order of proximity to campus, here is a list of the best places to get your bean fix in town. 

The Library Cafe 

Nothing beats this spot for convenience. So many of us can recall a time, pre-COVID, when we took a quick study break during our long hours at the library to grab a coffee or tea. The Library Cafe is open Monday – Thursday from 8 a.m. to 12 a.m., Friday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m., Saturday from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 12 a.m.

Biggby 

A state-wide chain, Biggby can be a comforting and familiar spot for many of the students coming from larger cities downstate. This chain offers a more commercialized air while still being a comfortable space where one can study and work comfortably. They also have many coupons and discounts available, with one day a week being Student Day, where anyone with a college ID gets a discount. Biggby is open Monday – Saturday from 6 a.m.  to 10 p.m., Sunday from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. 

Cyberia 

A Houghton classic, Cyberia has been in town for about as long as many students have been alive. They identify as the oldest coffee shop in Houghton, but they are by no means outdated. Steve, the owner, makes many of the sauces and syrups for flavored lattes and drinks himself so each cup is special and unique. Cyberia is open Monday – Friday from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m., Saturday from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m., and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. 

Fifth and Elm 

My personal favorite, Fifth and Elm is a lovely coffee shop right in the center of downtown. During normal times, students can stop by and spend some time studying while sitting in the comfort of this classy, hip little spot. Fifth and Elm also offers a variety of delicious menu options, serving breakfast and lunch daily. Fifth and Elm is open weekdays from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., and weekends from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Steep and Brew 

Located a bit farther away, Steep and Brew is definitely worth the short trip – one only needs to look at the line of cars waiting to go through their drive thru each day to be assured of that. Conveniently located between campus and the two major grocery stores in town, Steep and Brew serves not only some of the best coffee in town but also has many tasty bakery options. Steep and Brew is open weekdays from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. and Saturdays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.