Technology for Winter Carnival 2021 is Essential

As the COVID-19 crisis continues to be an issue for Americans to deal with, many aspects of our yearly traditions have changed to fit social distancing guidelines. Families have met over video calls rather than gathering in person for holidays, and  college campuses have created new plans to continue with activities rather than simply cancelling them in an attempt to keep the college experience alive. This applies to Michigan Tech as well, as administrators have curated a new way to enjoy Winter Carnival together while staying separate.

Traditions like snow statues have remained in place, while keeping outdoor gatherings for building them to a maximum of 25 people in one location. However, broomball has been postponed until there is little to no risk of the spread of the virus while people are playing. Other activities have also been moved online to give people an opportunity to enjoy spending time with their friends in a socially distanced way. The university has also put an emphasis on e-sports this year to replace intramurals. It may not be the same Winter Carnival that many of us are used to, but Tech has made an effort to create a memorable experience for its students. 

This year’s Winter Carnival serves as a reminder of just how important technology has become in today’s world. While social media and text messaging has always been a way to keep in contact with friends and family wherever we go, Zoom has become an essential part of keeping in contact with the people we can’t see, attending classes, and being active in meetings. In 2019, 10 million people attended Zoom meetings daily. In 2020, more than 300 million people were attending meetings through Zoom every day. In 2019, 10 million people attended Zoom meetings daily. In 2020, more than 300 million people were attending meetings through Zoom every day.   This shows the steps that universities and workplaces have taken to ensure that work still gets done and students can still take classes. Staying safe away from large groups and crowds while being able to carry on with work and classes was a challenge at first, but online options have eased the effect that lockdowns and social distancing have had on society.

Other ways to have fun with your friends during Winter Carnival are abundant. Jackbox Games is a great way to blow off steam and make memories rather than hanging out in person. More options are making fun Kahoots to play through, playing games like Among Us, and playing a Cards Against Humanity clone online. There are tons of online resources to keep your friend group entertained while staying safe from large gatherings.

Despite the importance of staying within your social bubble and distancing yourself from the outside world, people have shown resilience in finding ways to connect with others. Finding social outlets in 2020 and 2021 may be more difficult now than ever before, but online applications have made it easier to meet with people and socialize with friends. While we may not be able to celebrate Winter Carnival in person this year, Michigan Tech’s online options have given us the opportunity to still enjoy this time together as a student body.