Dorm life resumes

Fall 2020 was one of Tech’s stranger semesters. Hybrid and remote learning changed how classes were held and students on campus coped with the switch to online courses while still living in the halls. It certainly wasn’t an easy transition for neither instructors nor students, but this format helped minimize COVID-19’s spread in the community.

Over the past week, students moved back into the dorms. While some students either attend classes remotely or live off campus, there is still a substantial student population on campus.

Students moved back in last weekend, as a result of Governor Whitmer’s orders for delayed starts. Social distancing and masks are enforced in all public areas. Staff will continue cleaning and sanitizing daily to help prevent spreading. Cleaning is in compliance with MTU’s Flex Force standards.

Baseline testing for COVID-19 is strongly recommended for all returning students by the MTU Flex Force. These will be up in the Student Development Complex in the Multipurpose Room.

In addition, those who complete the baseline test are eligible for prize drawings. Prizes include an exclusive parking spot on campus, fall priority registration, and $100 gift cards for the Bookstore/University Images.

Dining Services, as well as food retailers on campus, resumed operations last Saturday. Those with in-person classes are able to grab a snack or coffee once again. Dining halls have resumed their normal hours. More information on dining can be found here.

Last semester saw minimal cases on campus. Hopefully, this semester will see similar results.