Greek week: Mock Rock

On the relatively cold evening of Oct. 27, I visited the finals of the Greek Week, and the winner was to be decided in “Trial by Combat!” No, I’m just kidding. The Greek week was supposed to end with the event of a lip-sync dance battle between fraternities, called Mock Rock. The groups were going to be judged by a respected panel of Julie Way, Jonathan Davey and Cory Pardieck.

The basic rule of this event was to perform a dance routine on a song or compilation of songs in a comic fashion and there would be points awarded as per certain criteria by the judges. A bonus was that the winner of Greek Week would be announced at the end of this contest, so everyone present was in an excited mood. Now, being from somewhere where such contests do not occur in tech schools, I was unsure about my own expectations, let alone from those of the event. But the smoothness of the show baffled me. It was a comical recreation of some of our favorite songs. The first performance was by Tau Kappa Epsilon, whose act included a compilation of songs such as The Creep, Hot Line Bling, Candy Shop and so on.

I would say the storyline dealt with the popularity of some of the guys, before a girl comes along and leaves them in an excruciatingly funny manner. This was followed by a rendition of Disco Duck, done by Delta Upsilon, which showed two grown men dancing along in bright yellow duck costumes and freestyling, with three others playing a variety of characters such as a ninja (I’m guessing), a pirate and a cowboy, all wearing duck bills as their defining accessory. The end showed the two ducks hugging it out in the center of the stage, surrounded by what I’m assuming were their hunters and spraying them with silly string. It made no sense to me.

Alpha Gamma Delta’s performance settled more along the lines of a dance and Halloween theme, and their act showed much more the dancing part of things than the comical side of it as the ones before them. It was a nice refresher. Sigma Phi Epsilon, who were the eventual winners of the entire Greek Week, used a compilation of songs ranging from Canned Heat to Gangnam Style. The standout part of this performance was the worm by the guy in a bright onesie (I’m guessing was some kind of yellow-purple Robin) and PSY’s perfectly recreated Gangnam Style dance steps. Following this was Delta Sigma Phi, who created an atmosphere in which cowboys, horses, Jack Sparrow, Shakira, Vikings and unicorns intertwined. Boy, would that be weird world to live in. Their music included a compilation of songs for different parts of the act, such as Hips Don’t Lie for Shakira’s (Duh!),

I’m on a Boat for Captain Jack Sparrow. The weirdest part of their act was the making out and happily ever after life of a unicorn and the horse. (Wait, what just happened?). Theta Chi Epsilon performed on the song “This is Halloween” and they were complete with scary makeup (for the most part) including a witch’s hat. The main thing that I loved about them is they kicked a blabbering Donald Trump off stage. Kudos to that, ladies!

While the judges were making their decision and the points for the Mock Rock and overall winners were being calculated, the winners of various other events during Greek Week were announced. The winner of the Mock Rock event was Delta Sigma Phi and the overall winners were Sigma Phi Epsilon. Congratulations to both these sororities for their accomplishments!

On a concluding note, with performances like these and a variety of onesies and masks on display, coupled with an extremely appreciative crowd, this was one of the most enjoyable events I have ever attended. I would also like to thank Madelyn Morley, the go-to person for this event, who supplied me with most of the information needed to write this article.