SKT v Samsung for LOL Worlds

The League of Legends World Championships is almost over, and the final matches to determine this year’s champion begins at 7:30 p.m. this Saturday. The two-year reigning champion, and second seed from Korea, SKT, is facing off against the third seeded Korean team, Samsung, who currently hasn’t lost a single match in the knockout phase. All the wildcard underdogs seemed to have fizzled out, as two of the biggest contenders of the championship are lining up for the final match.

SKT has proven itself a dominant competitor throughout most of their matches this year. In the group stages, they only lost one match, to the Flash Wolves, and made it out of groups in the top of their bracket. SKT beat RNG, but almost lost to the first seeded Korean team, the ROX Tigers. They narrowly made it to finals, beating ROX in their last game with their late game strategies.

Samsung made it out of the group stage with the same 5-1 record as SKT, but in the knockout stage, they haven’t lost a single match so far, going 3-0 against Cloud 9, the only North American team to make it into the knockout stages, and H2K.

“This weekend, SKT is definitely going to win,” said Sebastian Allen, president for the Michigan Tech League of Legends Club. “Coming off the full 5 game series with ROX, SKT looks to be in prime position to win. And let’s not forget that SKT beat Samsung during both splits to get to where they currently are…. To be honest, I’m shocked Samsung made it this far with such a great record. They were written off to be below TSM in groups, and yet here they are in the Finals off a 10 straight win streak.”

Regardless of who wins next weekend, it’s sure to be an interesting match. Will SKT retain their title as the world champion? Or will Samsung prove themselves as the number one team?

Saturday, Oct. 29 is the last day of the League of Legends World Championship, and any student can come down to join the Michigan Tech League of Legends Club at their viewing party, in Fisher 138, around the same time as the final match begins. If you’re interested, grab some friends, and make sure to come down to see the last game of the season. Or, you can catch the stream at http://www.lolesports.com/.