UnLODEing Zone

Dear Mr. Snow!

Before coming to Houghton, I loved winter. Waking up every morning with a comfy blanket, wearing sweaters in school and early evenings with hot chocolate. And then Michigan Tech happened. I won’t say I hate winter now, but something good is only good when you have a limited amount of it. Just like too much love is not healthy, too much winter is unbearable. Also, the winter I used to like was 60 degrees Fahrenheit. That’s like summer here.

Still, the winter is beautiful. The white hills and barren woods. The beautiful sunset, obviously on the days when we see the sun. And, oh! The sun. I never thought I would say this, but I really miss the sun. After coming from the tropical subcontinent of India, I never thought I would ever miss it.

You know, Mr. Snow, do not be so cold. Grow some empathy, be warm. And you will see all your stiffness will go away. You will feel more flow, you will feel free. You will feel like water. It only takes a small change. Just gain a few calories. Go out in the sun and enjoy the weather. Do not ruin it.

But here are some “Cool” facts that I learned to not hate snow:

1. No two snowflakes are exactly the same is a myth (Statistically impossible).

2. Syracuse, New York tried to make snow illegal (I wish we tried it here).

3. Each winter in the US, at least 1 septillion (1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000) ice crystals fall from the sky (I didn’t even know they had a unit for a big number like this).

4. The largest snowball fight on record took place in Seattle (Obviously, can’t be Houghton).

5. Not all big snowstorms are blizzards (Just like not every husky is our Blizzard).

Disclaimer: This letter is written for the cold, white snow outside. It is not meant to offend anyone with a surname Snow, like Jon Snow, who knows nothing. If you are hurt, I am sorry. And if you are the cold, white snow, bring me my summer back, or I will shovel you.