Escape the MUB! A daring adventure awaits…

If Valentine’s Day has left you feeling sour, or you’re looking for something to spice up the monotony of mid-semester life, a thrilling escape room might be the event to take your mind off it.

Endless adventure, prison breaks, sci-fi missions — everything comes down to this. An escape room is a real-life adventure that requires teamwork, speed, creativity and patience.

It is a timed challenge to link the clues and escape the room before the hour runs out. They are wonderful event for family vacations or for corporate team-building. This is a great way to spend time with friends or learn how to cooperate with other people in general. To play, attendees enter a themed room and have to put together clues, solve puzzles and accomplish the main mission to escape.

Escape rooms began with first-person point-of-view video games like Myst and Crimson Room. These video games served as the inspiration for what would become a real-life one-hour adventure story.

Elements like interacting with your surroundings, solving puzzles and having a goal-centered plotline were transferred from the digital realm of video games to real life escape rooms.

The first escape room was created in 2007 by a Japanese company called SCRAP, and it quickly picked up in popularity. It spread across Asia and into Europe. Escape rooms first came to the United States around 2012, and they’ve been a hit ever since. This thrilling form of entertainment is sure to get your thinking gears turning.

Most escape rooms cost between $25 and $30 for a one-hour game, but if you don’t have that kind of cash (or you don’t even know where to find such a company to play the game at), you may want to check out the MUB’s escape room.

The MUB Board is putting on its own escape room this Friday, Feb. 21 from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. This timed event puts the pressure on as you and your team of five battle your way to freedom by finding the clues, linking hints and eventually finding the secret key to win the game and escape the room.

Teams of five are able to sign up at the MUB Board desk in MUB 106 all day on Feb. 21 to reserve a spot for this event. The event will be held in the MUB Ballroom and is sure to be an exciting game to play with your friends.

If you don’t solve the puzzle, don’t worry, you certainly won’t be trapped forever. Besides, it’s good practice working with your friends, or even strangers, to figure out how to leave the room. Your problem solving skills will certainly thank you, and your midterm-addled brain will also enjoy the relief of doing something — anything — other than studying.

This event is free to attend, and will certainly be an exhilarating, fascinating break from studying.