Don’t twitch over streamers

So, I’m not much of a live stream viewer. The lightning-fast chat and emote spam doesn’t really do anything for me. One part of live streaming that does interest me is the weird, cultish fanbase some streamers garner.

I think to make good money online you have to form a group. Some may call this a fanbase, I’d tend toward a cult of personality. There really isn’t that big a difference between a popular streamer and, say, a celebrity. Well, I guess there is one very big difference.

Scarlett Johansson absolutely has a gaggle of thirsty, creepy fans. She doesn’t have to interact with them though.  A Twitch streamer makes their money by interacting with fans, and often times the more devoted they are, the more valuable.

I find the whole Twitch dynamic interesting. Fans get very little for actually donating or subscribing to a creator. They may get a speech bubble pop up on-screen or a callout, but beyond that and a few emotes there’s not really any pragmatic reason to donate to a streamer.

Yet, they convince people to pay them. I’ve noticed a strange social relationship form on many Twitch accounts. The viewers feel indebted to the streamer. It’s like in middle school, and you had your first crush and anything they did or said was absolutely perfect in your mind.

So, where am I going with this? I’ll be straight up. It’s creepy. Streaming can often cater to, let’s say, socially challenged people. Because there is some limited interaction it is very easy for a fan to grow attached to a streamer, and form a bond that really doesn’t exist.

It is no secret. Sex sells. I don’t want to belittle female streamers and say the only reason people watch is because they are attractive. What I will say is the majority of their viewers are male, and a subsection of them are really, really thirsty. 

Because the internet is the internet there are dozens of horror stories of fans digging up real names, addresses, and other personal information on their favorite streamers. One streamer named Kaceytron had to file a police report after a fan found some of her personal information. (Thanks to Cecilia D’Anastasio from Kotaku for the article.)

Some fans go so far as to say in interviews that they love their streamers. It seems silly, but this is some seriously creepy stuff. Imagine if you had some stranger from who-knows-where suddenly fascinated with your every move. Now multiply that by ten, or even a hundred.

What’s the solution? I have no clue. I know pretty much nothing about streaming. I’m sure some streamers love their devoted fans. It can certainly be an ego boost and create job stability.

I guess the only final thoughts I have on this topic are to always look at everyone as another human being. That goes for both on- and offline. It is very easy to see some of our heroes, be they famous scientists, actors, athletes or streamers, and assume they are perfect. The truth is they are people just like you and me. So before you idolize someone, remember they’re pretty much just like you.

Also, don’t be weird, like, actually take a second to think about what you type online. Before you confess your love for a streamer stop, stand up, step into the fresh air for a second and think about if you really mean what you’re saying.