This week in – Michigan Tech Athletics

Thursday, Sept. 12 — Volleyball vs. Minnesota Duluth, 8:30 p.m. at St. Cloud State

Friday, Sept. 13 — Cross Country at Michigan State’s Spartan Invitational, 11 a.m.

Volleyball vs. Bemidji State, Noon at St. Cloud State.

Soccer at MSU-Moorhead, 5 p.m.

Volleyball at St. Cloud State, 8:30 p.m.

Saturday, Sept. 14 — Women’s Tennis at Lake Superior State, 10 a.m.

Volleyball vs. Minnesota Crookston, Noon at St. Cloud State

Football at McKendree, 2 p.m. on Mix 93 WKMJ

Sunday, Sept. 15 — Soccer at Minnesota Crookston, Noon

FOOTBALL

The football team opened its seasonwith a commanding 29-14 win at Hillsdale on Saturday. The Huskies held the Chargers to 160 yards of total offense and negative nine yards rushing. Tech has now won its season opener for the 10th straight time dating back to 2010. Ben Hartley had a pair of touchdown grabs, while Will Ark and Jared Smith found the endzone on a pair of rushes. Evan Gornick nailed 41- yard field goal to open the game’s scoring. Travis Tidwell and John Paramski led the defense with five tackles each. The Huskies continue nonconference play on the road at McKendree next weekend. McKendree is located outside of St. Louis in Lebanon, Illinois. Kickoff is scheduled for 2 p.m.

VOLLEYBALL

Tech hosted the Country Inn & Suites Keweenaw Classic over the weekend with16 matches between eight teams. The Huskies went 3-1, sweeping No. 9 Southwest Minnesota State Thursday and Mary and Minnesota Crookston on Friday. The lone loss was to Upper Iowa in five sets Saturday. Olivia Ghormley (60 kills) and Anna Jonynas (45) led the offense with Ghormley averaging 4.29 kills per set. Laura De Marchi averaged 11.07 assists per set, totaling 155 on the weekend. Megan Utlak (65 digs), Jonynas (55 digs), and Emilia Widen (8 blocks) led the defense. The Huskies return to the court this weekend at the St. Cloud State Invite. Tech will play No. 6 Minnesota Duluth, Bemidji State, St. Cloud State, and Minnesota Crookston.

SOCCER

Tech soccer went undefeated over the weekend with a 0-0 draw at St. Cloud State in the season opener Friday and a 3-2 overtime win at Minnesota Duluth Sunday. Grace Shaw scored the game-winner against the Bulldogs, while Jesse Jacobusse had a pair of goals in regulation. The Huskies continue their four-game Minnesota road trip at MSU-Moorhead Friday and Minnesota Crookston Sunday.

WOMEN’S TENNIS

The start of the women’s tennis season was delayed a week as the Huskies and Lawrence Tech match was canceled due to rain on Saturday. Tech will get the season underway this Saturday at Lake Superior State.

CROSS COUNTRY

The cross-country season gets started at Michigan State’s Spartan Invitational on Saturday. The women’s team was recently picked second in the 2019 GLIAC Cross Country Preseason Coaches’ Poll with the men coming in third. The women’s team also earned preseason rankings of 12th in the nation and third in the Midwest Region. The men’s team checked in at 20th nationally and fourth in the Midwest.

HUSKIES LEND A PAW

This year’s community outreach initiative for Michigan Tech Athletics is the Huskies Lend a Paw to support Big Brothers Big Sisters UP Kids. Big Brothers Big Sisters seeks to change the lives of children facing adversity for the better, forever. BBBS programs help children realize their full potential and build their futures by providing strong and enduring, professionally supported, one-to-one relationships.

For more information or a donation contact Maggie Munch BBBS Program Director at bbbs@upkids.com or 906-487- 9855.

Special Dates Supporting BBBS:

Friday, October 25, 2019 – Soccer BBBS T-shirt Auction

Friday, November 8, 2019 – Volleyball BBBS T-shirt Auction

Thursday, December 5, 2019 – Men’s and Women’s Basketball BBBS T-shirt Auction

Friday, January 10, 2020 – Hockey BBBS Jersey Auction