Men’s basketball announces team awards

The Michigan Tech men’s basketball program and Head Coach Kevin Luke are pleased to announce the 2018-19 team award winners. Sophomore guard Dawson Bilski, who was selected as the Ken Hamar Award for the Most Valuable Player, was one of five Tech players honored with team awards.

Bilski, a guard form Powers, Michigan, led the Huskies in scoring with a 12.8 points per game average during the 2018-19 campaign. Bilski found the target on 46.2 percent of his shots from the field and dialed in 40.9 percent of his attempts from three-point range. Bilski poured in a career high 25 points against the University of Wisconsin-Stout and connected on six triples during the course of two games this season. Once against UW-Stout on December 15th and the other against Alderson Broaddus on November 23rd at the Gannon University Tournament. Bilski was a Second Team All-Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference selection.

Bilski ranked 20th in the GLIAC in points per game and was eighth in the league statistically in three-point shooting percentage. In addition to his numbers on offense, Bilski was third on the team in rebounds with 4.6 each time he touched the floor. He also distributed 1.4 assists and had 1.0 steal per game in 27 games played. Each one of Bilski’s appearances were starts. In the classroom, Bilski was named to the GLIAC All-Academic team.

Trent Bell, a sophomore forward from Negaunee, Michigan, was the recipient of this year’s Bill Gappy Award which goes to the Most Improved Player. Bell paced the Huskies in rebounding at 6.3 boards per game and fired in 7.7 points per contest during the 2018-19 campaign. Bell connected on 44.4 percent of his field goal attempts and poured in a career high 22 points against Northern Michigan on January 26th. Bell showed is versatility on offense that day by dialing in six triples against the Wildcats. Off the court, Bell was selected to the GLIAC All-Academic Excellence Team.

KC Borseth, a senior guard from Green Bay, Wisconsin, was honored with the Harold Meese Sportsmanship Award for 2018-19. Borseth saw action in 15 games this year, providing valuable minutes off the bench. He fired in a career high eight points against Ferris State, one of the top teams in the country, on February 16th and grabbed three rebounds to help the Huskies secure a comeback win at Purdue Northwest on January 31st. Borseth also garnered GLIAC All-Academic Excellence Team honors.

Owen White earned the Bob Olson Outstanding Newcomer Award for his play on the court during the 2018-19 season. White, a freshman forward from Rhinelander, Wisconsin, appeared in all 27 games, which included 17 starts. He was third on the team in scoring at 9.4 points per game and tossed in a season high 17 points at home against Northwood on February 7th. On the glass, White reeled in 4.0 rebounds each time he took the floor this past season.

Kyle Clow, a redshirt freshman from Germantown, Wisconsin, was Tech’s Scholastic Achievement Ward honoree this year. Clow is a Mechanical Engineering major and was also selected to the GLIAC All-Academic Excellence Team for his work in the classroom. Academic Excellence Teams are comprised of student athletes that have a cumulative GPA of 3.50-4.0. Clow appeared in 21 games for the Huskies and had a season high 16 points at Northwood on December 1st.

*Note: This article ran April 11