Second presidential debate: Town hall style

The second Presidential candidate debate took place on Sunday, Oct. 9. The debate followed a “town hall” set up where audience members can come in with questions and ask them directly to the candidates. Moderators Anderson Cooper and Martha Raddatz asked follow up questions.    The first question was asked by a Missouri citizen who posed concerns about the last debate being “MA rating, mature audience.” She wanted to know if the candidates felt they were good models for today’s youth. Secretary Clinton answered first saying that she does feel that she is a good model for children and will strive to be a good model who works for schools and a better future for younger generations. Trump’s response was similar, saying that he too feels that he is a good model who wants to “Make America Great Again,” as his slogan suggests. Both candidates also brought up their goals and policies that they will implement as President.

As a follow up question, Cooper asked about the recent audio that surfaced in regards to Trump allegedly making comments, in a bragging manner, of sexually assaulting women. Trump brought up that he had apologized and is not proud of the situation occurring. Clinton wanted to clarify that she feels that the video was an accurate representation of Trump. Trump reiterated that he was not proud of the words he spoke and shifted away from the idea that people talk as though Trump is the only one who has made comments like that; he especially brought up Bill Clinton’s “abusive behavior towards women.”    Once again, Secretary Clinton’s email scandal became the focus. The question posed was “You don’t call your handling of emails extremely careless?”

This section was filled with interruptions from Trump. Cooper stepped in numerous times asking Trump to quiet down in order to allow Clinton to respond. They moved on to a Mr. Karpowicz who asked “What will you do to bring down the cost of health care?” Clinton answered first saying that as it stands right now, affordable health care needs improvement. While some things do work, other things must be improved. Trump claimed that Obamacare is a disaster and that it is not working at all, nor will it ever work. In order to resolve these issues, Trump wants to eliminate Obamacare and create a program that is more tailored to each individual. Clinton pushed that starting all over would be difficult given numerous reasons, including having an employer based society.

Ms. Gorbah Hamed asked how each candidate will approach Islamophobia and the threat to the safety of Muslims. Trump discussed that it’s vital to have Muslims speak up about situations that they are aware of in order to protect American safety. Clinton also brought up the point that it’s critical to treat American citizens with respect in order to maintain peace and safety in America. Moderator Raddatz asked Trump, as a follow up, if he no longer was calling for a ban on Muslim immigration as he has suggested in the past. Trump said that we do not understand the refugees seeking shelter. Clinton commented on how there are many women and children refugees that are looking for safety and shelter and that we should allow them in, as we are a country based on religious freedom.

A question from the public was taken asking if it’s okay for politicians to have private stances on political issues. The question was aimed at Clinton. In response, she discussed how Spielberg demonstrated in the movie Lincoln that in order to persuade congress, you have to be strategic about it. A crowd question was asked about what tax provisions will be changed to make sure the wealthy pay their fair share. Trump claims to want to lower taxes while Clinton wants to raise them. The conversation shifted to Trump’s taxes. Trump claims to know the tax code and has proven that he can legally use it. Mr. James Carter asked if the candidates believe that they can be a devoted President to all the people in the USA. Clinton cited her work as a lawyer and public servant as a good example of how she will be willing to work for the people. Trump raised the point that he wants to work to help the people by bringing back jobs, law and order, and safety for all people. Another audience member, Ms. Beth Miller, asked what the most important aspect of choosing a Supreme Court justice is. With the passing Justice Scalia, appointing a Supreme Court justice is a major issue.

Clinton referred to a movement toward appointing judges with diverse experiences.   To conclude the debate, a final question was asked by Mr. Carl Becker. Becker asked a question that could be considered unusual for a presidential debate. He asked each candidate to talk about one positive thing that they respect about each other. Clinton said that she respects the way Trump has raised his children because raising children to be good people is important. Trump admired Clinton’s ability to not quit or give up on her goals. Both candidates mentioned not agreeing with each other’s policies but could still find things that they respect in each other. The next debate will take place on Oct 19 and will follow the same format as the first debate.