Winter Carnival Book Sale in Library

Winter Carnival is a blustery, red-nosed holiday that Tech students love to take part in — a brief respite from the relentless onslaught of school work and labs. If wandering around outside in negative degree weather and taking pictures of breathtaking snow sculptures or playing broomball on the ice rinks outside Walker isn’t really your cup of cocoa, then maybe the Winter Carnival book sale is!

The Friends of the Michigan Tech Library are having a used book sale in the lobby of the Van Pelt and Opie Library on Saturday, Feb. 9 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. The Friends of the Michigan Tech Library were originally founded as the Friends of the Van Pelt Library in 1995 to support the library to benefit technology, travel scholarships and even funding a summer intern in the University Archives. They are a group of volunteers who accept book donations and sell them to help support the library.

The Friends of the Library hold annual sales to help support special opportunities for the Michigan Tech library. The Winter Carnival book sale also features free hot chocolate and cookies for the brave bookworms who venture out into the winter wonderland in search of quality literature for a low and reasonable price.

If you’re too busy drinking in the architectural beauty of the Michigan Tech campus and you can’t find the time to make it to the book sale, fear not! The Friends of the library will be holding another sale, the annual book sale, on Thursday and Friday of April 4 and 5.

Can’t wait that long? This weekend’s book sale is only one time and place to get your fix for fresh new books.

The Friends also have a sale shelf in the library year round where you can peruse gently used books at your leisure and pick one that you like to take home with you. The sale shelf is located sort of behind the front desk and is always stocked with new content as donations come in. All proceeds from these sales and merchandise specifically benefit the library.

If you want to help but don’t have the funding to buy new books, you can always donate! The Friends of the Michigan Tech Library keeps a list of items that are accepted as well as other ways for you to donate so that you can always help support the ever-expanding library.