The UnLODEing Zone

A place for the editors to unload

You know, I think this is the first time since I started working at the Lode that I haven’t known what I was going to write for this. Normally, I have something on my mind that I just want to talk about, usually about how stressed I am, but not this time.

That’s not to say that I’m not stressed, but that’s gotten repetitive and I won’t be able to say anything this time that I haven’t said before. So I’m not going to do it.

This semester’s been weird. I kind of feel like I’m floating through it without being aware of what I’m doing. I do the homework, I participate in class, but it doesn’t always feel real. I think it’s partially because I’ve been trying to fight off a cold for the past couple of weeks, but I’m not certain that it’s just that. But it’s made everything very odd.

But for all that it feels odd, I’m weirdly aware of Winter Carnival this year. In previous years, it was kind of just something that happened, and I didn’t really care that much. It meant nothing. This year is different. I don’t know if it’s because I don’t have to work extra hours during Carnival as I have in previous years or if it’s because the odd weather has made me strangely alert to the amount of snow on the ground and what it’s being used for, but I’ve been practically counting down the days.

Of course, I’m also counting down the days because I’m tired of being so cold all the time. I like the winters here, don’t get me wrong, but the coldest days just make me want to sleep all the time. That, or watch movies while wrapped up in a blanket and drinking hot chocolate. Maybe I’ll do that this weekend.

Anyway, I’m planning to take advantage of the long weekend and enjoy the break. I hope you all get to do the same.