Huskies bounce back with 1-0 win at Northern Michigan

MARQUETTE, Mich. – The Michigan Tech women’s soccer team recorded a 1-0 non-conference win at rival Northern Michigan Sunday afternoon in Marquette. The Huskies posted a second half goal to pull out the victory on the way to their fifth win of the season.

“Our backline was outstanding today,” Michigan Tech Head Coach Michelle Jacob said. “They were able to handle both one versus situations and long balls that NMU tried to play over the top. We had a beautiful goal by Jesse [Jacobusse] who ran in on the weak side to connect with a cross from Grace [Shaw]. We certainly got better as the game went on and finished strong.”

Michigan Tech (5-3-1) went on the attack early and along with solid play on defense, kept Northern Michigan (4-4-2) off balance. Sophomore Jesse Jacobusse unloaded the first shot of the match which tailed just wide of the net in the second minute followed a few minutes later by a shot on goal from sophomore Brooke Schauer.

Freshman Hannah Loughlin got two shots airborne in the 10th minute, including one that had to be saved by goalie Emma Vermette. The Huskies’ offense would eventually force Vermette to make six saves in the first half to keep it a scoreless contest through the opening 45 minutes. Senior Rachel Wall, sophomore Kassity Swanson, and freshman Gabby Sgambati also had looks at the net that Vermette had to deflect away in the first half.

Meanwhile, the Wildcats’ offense generated eight shots in the first period, but none of them had to be turned away by sophomore goalkeeper Amanda Young. Tech’s defense did a solid job of forcing Northern Michigan far enough away from the net to prevent any shots on goal. The Huskies were able to block three first period shots before they approached Young in front of the net.

The Huskies kept up the pressure to begin the second period and nearly took the lead on a blast by freshman Alicia Shatrau that had to be saved by Vermette in the 54th minute. In the 57th minute, Sgambati rocketed a ball off the post and then freshman Grace Shaw had a strike denied by Vermette in the 58th minute.

Young eventually had to make her first save of the match in the 59th minute on a kick by Peyton McNabb to help buy some more time for the Huskies’ offense.

Tech’s persistence paid off with what would be the game winning goal in the 73rd minute Sunday afternoon. Shaw sent a long crossing pass in the direction Jacobusse who was positioned near the corner of the goal. Jacobusse found an open lane and delivered the ball past the keeper into the back of the net for her second goal of 2018 season. Shaw picked up her team leading third assist of the year and earned her 13th point.

The Huskies had some work to do with time still remaining on the clock for Northern Michigan to attempt at knotting the score. Young stepped up with her second save of the contest in the 74th minute followed by four more Tech shot attempts that kept the Wildcats on their heels. In the 89th minute, Northern Michigan had one final look at the net, but an attempt off the foot of Taelor Moore was redirected by Young to preserve the 1-0 win.

Shaw paced the Huskies offense with five total shots followed by Jacobusse and Loughlin with three attempts apiece. The goal by Jacobusse was her first game winning kick of 2018 as well as being her first career game winner.

As a team, the Huskies outshot the Wildcats 27-12 and forced Vermette to make 10 saves. Tech also had the edge in corner kicks Sunday 8-3. Young played 80 minutes in front of the net and made three saves for her fifth win of the year.

Moore guided Northern Michigan’s offense with four shots, including one of her teams three shots on goal. Vermette logged all 90 minutes in goal and suffered her first loss of the season for the Wildcats.

The Huskies will resume conference play next weekend when they travel to second ranked Grand Valley State University Friday night followed by a Sunday match at Davenport. Friday’s contest against the Lakers is slated for 7 p.m. while Sunday’s meeting with the Panthers is set for 1 p.m.