Michigan Tech women finish fourth at Roy Griak Invitational

MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. – The Michigan Tech women’s cross country team put in a solid performance at the Roy Griak Invitational, finishing fourth among the Division II teams competing today.

Ranked fifth in the Midwest region and 19th in the country, the Huskies finished fourth with 117 points, finishing 60 points ahead of Northern Michigan in fifth and 28 points behind Colorado-Colorado Springs in third.
“It was a solid day for the women,” said head coach Jake Isaacson. “We competed very well against the other top Division II teams, and we need to continue this progress into next week.”

Junior Emily Byrd was the best performer for the Huskies on the day, completing the 6k event at the Les Bolstad Golf Course with a time of 22:34.2 to finish sixth in her first race of the season. Senior Liz Bloch crossed the finish line with a time of 22:43.4 to place 12th, just missing out on a personal-best time.

“It was awesome to have [Emily] Byrd and [Liz] Bloch finish in the top 15 at a big meet like this, and our packs worked very well together,” Isaacson said of his runners.

Also scoring in the meet for Michigan Tech was freshman Gabrielle Feber (23:29.7) in 31st, freshman Sarah Gobel (23:32.0) in 33rd, senior Emily Vigil (23:32.9) in 35th, freshman Michelle Bollini (23:38.8) in 41st, and senior Sophia Farquhar (23:39.9) in 42nd.

Michigan Tech will return to action on October 6 at the Conference Crossover Invitational, hosted by Lewis University. The men will run at 10 a.m., and the women follow shortly after at 10:45 a.m.

One Response